Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Diane
      Participant

Hi Stephen,

Can I convince you of the attached videos and pictures that this is a morton’s neuroma. I’m always a bit in awe when I actually do see one because I scan so many that query it and I see nothing.

Do you have any more cases with morton’s neuromas? Are they always quite obvious or is there subtle signs that we have to look out for? I also have trouble identifying the interdigital nerve sometimes, any tips?

Thanks!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Stephen Bird
      Keymaster

Hi Diane,

To be honest I am not that impressed that there is much of a neuroma here.
      I do like your technique, the foot you are scanning is very thin so you are getting a great look.
      In the videos you are in the perfect spot with your transducer right between the plantar plates in the long axis with a plantar approach. Your use of a finger from the dorsal aspect is also perfect .
      What you are seeing is a small intermetatarsal bursa which is compressing when you push with your finger and the transducer. When you achieve compression you have a nerve that is slightly thickened so I think there is a degree of perineurial fibrosis, but the amount is small. So in essence I think it is a “Mortons neuroma” but a small one and I question how symptomatic it would be at this size.

I will find some more examples of neuromas and load them onto this discussion thread for you.

If you watch the metatarsalgia webinar you will see some examples as well.

Steve

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Bird Ultrasound | Website by What About Fred

Stay in Touch

Sending

Forgot your details?