Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gurinder Singh
      Participant

Hey Steve,

Just finished watching your eye ultrasound lecture – great content as usual
      Out of curiosity – how often do you see ophthalmologists referring patients for eye ultrasounds? Is this a common demand here in Australia?

Gurinder

Stephen Bird
      Keymaster

I do a reasonable number of eye ultrasounds.

The most common reason is a dense cataract or vitreous haemorrhage where the ophthalmoscope can not see the retina.

We are in essence a replacement for the ophthalmoscope when the ophthalmoscope can not see the retina.

There is no point in replacing a cataract for example if there is a retinal detachment present.

The second reason is to gain more details about a mass.

The ophthalmoscope is 2 dimensional so you can not tell for example if something is a nevis or a mass. The ultrasound can tell the height of the mass as well as saying if it is cystic or solid and if there is vascularity.

All good information.

They are the main 2 reasons we are asked to do the scans.

I think eye ultrasound is technically really easy but the interpretation of the images is really difficult!

Steve.

Gurinder Singh
        Participant

Sounds like it won’t be going anywhere anytime soon then

Yes after watching the lecture and seeing the videos I see what you mean by difficult interpretation!
        Thanks for the examples and content, that near field anterior chamber quality on the 22mHz is unreal

Gurinder

Stephen Bird
      Keymaster

Yes, that transducer is like an ultrasound microscope !

Steve

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Bird Ultrasound | Website by What About Fred

Stay in Touch

Sending

Forgot your details?