Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Son Nguyen
      Participant

Hi Birdies!

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this case I scanned yesterday.

Patient lifted a heavy object 2 days ago, now has severe pain and firm swelling over trapezius muscle 10/10.
      Also some tenderness over AC jont 8/10. General severe restricted painful movements.

– Rotator Cuff NAD, GHJ NAD
      – AC joint distended with echogenic foci within, stable ?synovitis ?arthropathy
      – Trapezius muscle enlarged with increased echogenicity.

What would be the cause of trapezius appearance?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Stephen Bird
      Keymaster

Howdy,

The AC joint looks degenerative and the patient is 57 years old so this is common.

The trapezius muscle appearance is unusual,

I don’t think I have seen a trapezius tear before but perhaps you have just shown one to me.
      Trapezius is such a big muscle I don’t think of it as being a muscle that tears.

The ultrasound appearance is more consistent with a delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) event rather than a tear.

Was there a history of repeated lifting on the day causing a muscle overloading injury?

Or was it a single lift?

Steve

Son Nguyen
        Participant

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I can’t recall exactly what he was doing beforehand. He mentioned lifting quite a heavy gate over a short period only.
        DOMS could well be a good differential. His extreme tenderness and restricted ROM was also odd.

Stephen Bird
      Keymaster

Yes, it is an unusual injury,

Not a muscle I see getting into trouble often,

If he has an MRI it would be interesting to see the result.

Steve

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay in Touch

Sending

Forgot your details?